Hammond was started by Stoney Williams, John Squires and John Grudier around the turn of the 20th century on the banks of the Little North Fork River in Ozark County. Lum Noonkester had operated a mill south of the town at one time, and parts of the old dam are still visible. The “Old Salt Road” ran through the town at that time, helping the town grow. The road took its name because it was used by freight wagons hauling salt in earlier years.
John Grudier built the three-story tall mill that was built of wood and stone. Stoney Williams operated a whiskey still nearby, and Squires opened the dry goods store. Squires also operated a small bank in Hammond, and the old stone vault can still be found nearby. The town boasted a blacksmith shop, a church, a barber and a drug store, and an old swinging foot bridge at one time.
The town all but disappeared during the depression years and milling stopped at Hammond in 1940. The store and other buildings were torn down in 1946. The old mill is now used as a private home.