arrow&v

Dawt Mill

A mill had been established at Dawt as early as 1866. Land ownership transferred multiple times over the years. In 1892 John Cauldwell became owner and he would hire L.A. Rogers to build a new dam and millrace. One year later, Rogers drowned in the mill pond, and shortly thereafter, the log building burned. Historical rumors point to the owner of the Friend Mill, a local competitor, as having paid a young man to burn down the mill.

The Hodgsons purchased Dawt in 1909 and Alva Hodgson would rebuild, putting in a three-story structure that housed steel rollers for grinding, and was powered by a water turbine, rather than a water wheel. A store, blacksmith shop, cotton gin, sawmill and post office were also added. The post office would close in 1934.

Alva would leave Dawt, and several owners would have possession of the mill over the years. Wayne and Ruth Dinnel purchased the mill in 1967, and had an overshot wheel installed, mostly as a tourist attraction to meet expectations of what a mill “should look like.” The Dinnells continued to grind cornmeal to be sold at the location until 1971, when the mill again began changing hands.

The current owner, Dr. Ed Henegar, has added lodging, the Grist Mill Restaurant and a General Store, as well as kayak and canoe rental.
Links of Interest
Article
Article

©2020 All Content Created by Our Ozarks is Protected by OurOzarks.com and Our Ozarks Magazine

All Site Member Content is protected by their own copyrights and permissions. No copying of content without express permission of Our Ozarks and site members.

Site use by members is with understanding that Our Ozarks may share any posting within this site and social media by Our Ozarks.